Saturday, December 8, 2012

Day 389: Game for the Weekend


By the way, this is a late post due to electricity deficiency in our area for almost 11 hours.

Let me share you a story for today.

For the Three


The coach signals a time out that sends the players of their color to their respective sides of the court.

            I am not trying to be a psycho but I am certain to decipher these words from the coach’s lips saying,

          “It’s now or never. It’s the mark you’ll all leave after you graduate.”

The players’ focus on every words he sent out.

“Now, get your eyes out of the scoreboard and play the game you’ve been playing for the last 4 years of your lives by heart.”

            Snap! It’s like magic, it’s like my team’s players face glares not of anger but of high-spirits in the 94-92 game. It’s just 3 points, 3 bloody points for us to put an end to our agony; we’re enjoying it though.

Sangguniang Kabataan League Games Basketball Fatima
A game of our Junior Basketball Team for the Best Four Round
during the SummerKadahan 2012.

            Everybody is so keen, not missing a second, not even the pumping of the ball from this floor to those sweaty palms. I can sense everybody’s grasping everything they can hold on to. Everywhere you look it’s like everybody’s not noticing their own sweat trailing their face on that hot, steamy Wednesday noon. It’s funny how some looks so worried; others bite their lip and clasp hands, while the audience-cheering team almost pops the balloons they’re holding.

            The ball is flying from one player to the other, not giving the opposing team to have a score and maintaining the status quo of that moment. Forty seconds left and still no one’s score is changed. The captain of my team had the ball now, as we watch him, he’s like thinking to whom will he pass the ball. Hearts are throbbing and the crowd starts to scream.

            “To number 18!”

            “No, that’s lame, 07!”

            “18!”

            “07!” The number is repeated on and on.

            And the crowd goes loco. As for me, I have confidence to the captain of my team’s discretion.

            “What?” I fret. “That’s wrong, so wrong. Not him!”

            I found myself bursting with dismay. Now, that unexpected number 02, the one all thinks the lamest, just stood after the ball was passed to him. I drag my attention to the captain, trying to question him, but I’m inspired by what I saw because he put on the face of trust to this newbie. This player starts to bend his knees, which sets the screaming drama off.

            At the back of my mind I said, “This is crazy! There’s just 4 seconds left and this is my team captain’s…Arghhh.” with clashing eyebrows and opened mouth.

            Everyone’s surprise but found no time to shout (and go loco again). No one is caring to take that free oxygen as all eyes followed that 3-point shoot.

            Believe me, it would’ve been an epic choice, an epic shoot, epic game and all, until my consciousness grasped that alarm on my phone with a note, “Basketball Finals- TODAY!”

Any more words?


I hope everyone will have a good game this weekend! But we in the office won’t have one… Hahahaha! It’s the Sumbanan Awards 2012 interview phase.

Also, let's respect intellectual property. Even though my composition is so high school do cite properly. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment